Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Giving Blessings

After watching this two videos, here and here, it really inspire me to write this post.

I still remember once, my family and I went for a dinner out at an open air cafe. Then we were approached by a monk. The monk hand over an alm to ask for donation. Well, I was thinking, alm was not suppose to be filled with money but food. But my dad, donated some cash. The monk did some form of blessing to us and went away.

Then I went, "That is a fake monk. Why donate?". My dad goes "It does not matter if it is real or fake". Well apparently, the day after, he came out in the newspaper. This guy is actually a fraud, pretending to be a monk and asks for donation. It was reported in some section of TheStar some time ago.

Only after a few years later, I realize, "Does it matter if he was fake?". The most important thing is the blessing that we give that counts. Even the donation of mere RM 2.00, it really will help a lot, although the monk was fake.

Let's put this in form of logic in four situations.
Case 1: The monk is fake and I do not donate. I will get demerit because of not donating and that person gets nothing.
Case 2: The monk is real and I do not donate. I will get demerit more because of not helping a monk. The monk will get nothing
Case 3: The monk is real and I donate. I will get merit and the monk can have something to eat.
Case 4: The monk is fake and I donate. I will get merit but that guy will get demerit for cheating.

After thinking for a while, it is the blessing that counts. Blessing someone is the best thing one can give to anyone, smile, donation or prayer. So what if the monk is fake? I still will get merit for blessing others. This is what we need in this world, like the videos, helping each other in time of needs.

No comments: